Oktoberfest and other Fall Fun Activities in Lake Arrowhead
Fall means changing leaves, cooler weather, and of course, beer. Beer? Mugs and pints will be flowing during the upcoming Oktoberfest in Lake Arrowhead. The annual event is inspired by its annual Munich equivalent, which began in 1811. The first Oktoberfest celebrations were for Crown Prince Ludwig who married Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. Wedding festivities to celebrate the royal couple included drinking, horse races, and a festival.
The current German celebration is the largest Oktoberfest gathering in the world, and lasts 16-18 days, attracting more than six million revelers. Massive tents named Hofbräuhaus, Hippodrom, and seat several thousand people.
In Lake Arrowhead, the celebration is relegated to weekends. But the enthusiasm is just as contagious. Check out this video to see the excitement surrounding the Lake Arrowhead version? This short video showcases the drinking, eating, and dancing from the 2015 event.
It’s All About the Beer
You can’t throw a true Oktoberfest without offering great beer. At the 2016 Lake Arrowhead Oktoberfest, the selection includes a wide variety of crafted beers from Germany, Belgium, and other parts of Europe, with brands including Hoegaarden, Spaten, Goose Island, and Munich-based Franziskaner Weissbier brewery.
Attendees purchase a commemorative 16.907 ounce commemorative beer mug and a “first drink” ticket. Tickets cost $20 on Saturday’s and $15 on Sunday’s, and refills are just $8. Dedicated beer aficionados who visit multiple days can bring their mug back for $8 refills. (Just a word of caution. Don’t try to reuse last year’s mug. The 2016 design is unique to this year’s event.)
It’s About the Music
Outdoor beer drinking and great food can only be enhanced by fantastic music. Oktoberfest features entertaining bands that rock German-themed music.
Here’s this year’s lineup
September 17th and October 22nd – the Kalifornia Krauts
September 18th and 25th and October 1st – Warsaw Poland Bros.
September 24th, and October 9th, 16th, and 23rd – Bavarian Beergaaden
October 2nd, 8th, and 15th – The Bluebirds
Highlights of 2016 Lake Arrowhead Oktoberfest (beyond the beer and music) include:
- Fun games, including stein holding, beer chug, sausage toss, and the chicken dance
- Authentic German fare including German potatoes, bratwurst, knockwurst, beer brats, sauerkraut, pretzels, coleslaw and more
- Traditional German-themed music as well as contemporary musical acts
- Pieter Meister acts as the master of ceremonies of the event. He comes to the mountain straight from the beer factories of Germany
Lake Arrowhead Oktoberfest 2016
September 17th (noon – 8 p.m.)
September 18th (noon – 6 p.m.)
September 24th (noon – 8 p.m.)
September 25th (noon – 6 p.m.)
October 1st (noon – 8 p.m.)
October 2nd (noon – 6 p.m.)
October 8th (noon – 8 p.m.)
October 9th (noon – 6 p.m.)
October 15th (noon – 8 p.m.)
October 16th (noon – 6 p.m.)
October 22nd (noon – 8 p.m.)
October 23rd (noon – 6 p.m.)
Each amazing day at the 2016 Lake Arrowhead Oktoberfest follows a repeated schedule:
- Noon-12:30 p.m. – German Music
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – German Bands/ Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 1:30 p.m. – 1:55 p.m. – Adult & Kids Musical Chairs
- 1:55 p.m. -2 p.m. – Dance Music
- 2 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – German Bands/ Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 2:30 p.m. – 2:55 p.m. – Team Sausage Toss
- 2:55 p.m. -3 p.m. – Dance Music
- 3 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – German Bands / Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m. – Men’s & Women’s Stein Holding
- 3:55 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Dance Music
- 4 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – German Bands / Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 4:30 p.m. – 4:55 p.m. – Men’s & Women’s Beer Chugging
- 4:55 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Dance Music
- 5 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. – German Bands / Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 5:30 p.m. – 5:55 p.m. – Men’s & Women’s Sauerkraut Eating Contest
- 5:55 p.m. – 6 p.m. – Dance Music (end of event on Sunday’s)
- 6-6:30 p.m. – German Bands / Chicken Dance / Traditional Songs
- 6:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. – Oktoberfest Games
- 7 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Dance Party
- 7:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Ceremonial Tucking Kegs In For The Night (end of event Saturday’s)
So where is all of the fun happening? Oktoberfest is happening on Center Stage in Lake Arrowhead Village. Click here for a map. If you’re coming from out of town and want to rent a place in the area, book through Arrowhead Property Rental. We make the process smooth, and have access to homes and condos of many styles and locations. So we will be able to find the perfect place for your gall mountain getaway.
Other September – October Activities
If you will be visiting Lake Arrowhead in the fall, but don’t want to spend all of your time dancing in beer gardens, consider a host of other great fall activities:
- September 10th –annual Lake Arrowhead Dog Festival features a dock jumping competition for pooches, fun prizes, and various other activities.
- September 17th – 42nd Annual Home Tour, an exciting tour of seven stunning area homes.
- September 24th – Arrowhead Goes Wild, a fundraising gala event to support Wildhaven Ranch. Meet some animals up close and personal.
Anytime of the year, vacationing in Lake Arrowhead is fun and affordable. But we shine in fall and winter like no other community in Southern California. Whether you’re looking to spend two nights of luxury with 20 of your closest friends with a gourmet kitchen or would prefer to stay in a modest cabin for several days, weeks or months, at Arrowhead Property Rental in Lake Arrowhead, California, we offer lodging to fit all tastes and budgets – for individuals, couples, families and groups — all at great prices, with unbelievable amenities. Check out the possibilities. Don’t delay. Book today.